How We Give
Through cash grants and in-kind donations, VR Echo supports non-profit organizations that focus on building a bright future for local kids or protecting the iconic landscapes that surround our resorts. Through an annual grant application process, special events and charity fundraisers, we grant $6M to more than 210 non-profit groups each year. Do you qualify to be a Vail Resorts Echo non-profit partner?
The Grant Process
The VR Echo grant program is the main way Vail Resorts partners with non-profits. While our annual charitable giving is significant for a company of our size, we are required to focus our resources to have the greatest impact for kids, the environment and the community. With each cash gift or in-kind donation, VR Echo strives to help the largest number of people possible who live and work in our resort communities.
VR Echo turns to local Giving Councils in each of our communities to help lead the grant program. Representing every division of the Company, the Giving Councils help VR Echo identify key local organizations that are implementing successful programs, award grants and build non-profit partnerships.
Cash grants and in-kind donations are awarded once a year through a grant application process. Non-profits who run programs within our focus areas and are based in Colorado's Eagle and Summit Counties, North and South Lake Tahoe, Park City, UT, and/or Jackson Hole may apply. Organizations are considered to receive a cash grant and/or in-kind donations once each year.
Vail Resorts only supports local non-profits that are based in our communities:
- Vail/Beaver Creek: Eagle County, Colorado
- Breckenridge/Keystone: Summit County/Park County, Colorado
- Heavenly and Kirkwood: South Lake Tahoe, Carson City, Minden, Meyers, Jackson and Gardnerville
- Northstar: Truckee, Tahoe City, and King’s Beach
- Canyons: Summit and Wasatch Counties
- Jackson, WY: Jackson, Moose, Yellowstone
- VR Echo focuses our grants and donations on youth programs and environmental initiatives that impact the local communities listed.
- We support local non-profits with cash grants to bolster programs and/or in-kind for programs and fundraising events. Please consider all of your organization's needs for the year (both cash and in-kind) and group them into your organization's one request.
- VR Echo requires a mid-year progress update and end of year report for all cash grants and for all in-kind donations valued more than $2,500.
We do not:
- Provide support for capital projects
- Support individual fundraising efforts like Relay for Life or individual classrooms
- Support religious organizations whose focus is religious education or that teaches religion in any way
- Support organizations - neither with cash or in-kind donations - that fall outside our focus or the local community
Park City Grant Cycle
The grant cycle for Park City non-profit organizations is open. Access the application here. Applications will be due on Wednesday, December 4. If Vail Resorts has not worked with your organization before and you believe that you fit our requirements, please contact Nicky DeFord at 720-524-5020 to discuss a potential partnership.
3KSummit County kids get access to oral healthcare
Colorado, Lake Tahoe and Jackson Grant Cycle
The grant cycle for Colorado, Lake Tahoe and Jackson, WY non-profit organizations is closed.
The local Colorado and Lake Tahoe Giving Councils are currently reviewing all submitted applications and will make announcements in mid November. Contact Nicky DeFord at 720-524-5020 with any questions or concerns. The next opportunity to apply for support from VR Echo (both cash and in-kind support) will be mid summer 2014.
Vail Resorts uses an online application program. All organizations will be asked to set up a user account with a login and password.